New Horizon School – Los Angeles believes that the best way to serve children and families is to provide a supportive educational environment. Our school believes that a warm and nurturing atmosphere is the best environment for both children and adults to learn and grow. The overall objective of the Preschool/PreKindergarten program is to offer a positive learning experience for each child, fostering a lifelong love of learning.
Children learn best by participating in activities that are geared for individual choices and which permit them to learn at their own pace and abilities. Creative materials are used by children to help them develop, express feelings and learn about the world around them. The areas of development around which our curriculum is organized are as follows:
• Social: To help children feel comfortable in school, trust their new environment, make friends, and feel they are a part of the group.
• Physical: To help children increase their large and small muscle skills and feel confident about what their bodies can do.
• Emotional: To help children experience pride and self-confidence, develop independence and self-control, and have a positive attitude towards life.
• Spiritual: To help children develop a good feeling about God and about who they are as American Muslims.
• Cognitive: To help children become confident learners by letting them try out their own ideas and experience success, and by helping them acquire learning skills such as the ability to solve problems, ask questions, and use words to describe their ideas, observations, and feelings
Within the scope of our curriculum, children learn to articulate their needs, and develop an awareness of their feelings and their personal rights to express them. Children will have experiences in a variety of activities such as the following: arts and crafts, music and movement, science experiences, pre-math, pre-reading, nature, sensory, manipulative play, and cooking. Students use Starfall, and other technology-based programs, on tablets. We offer a variety of enrichment activities for our children that include field trips and library visits.
Our children occupy two classrooms for the Preschool/Pre-Kindergarten program. Each class has a set daily schedule and routine, which helps the children to understand classroom time as a predictable series of events. Since we do serve different age groups, the daily routine in each class differs slightly to serve the needs of that group of children. The daily schedule offers a balance between the following types of activities:
Religious Studies Program
New Horizon School – Los Angeles offers students a daily Arabic immersion experience. Through explicit, interactive, and guided-instruction, the Arabic program enriches students’ ability to acquire vocabulary and demonstrate age-appropriate comprehension skills. The spiritual and respectful environment supports and motivates students to memorize and independently recite short verses from the Quran. The Islamic Studies curriculum focuses on instilling love for God and God’s Prophets as well as on nurturing an identity in each child as a confident and faithful American Muslim citizen.
Like What You See? Schedule a Tour | Give us a Call 213.480.3145